Be alert of the moulds if your products are produced in coastal cities of China!
From April to October is the monsoon, especially July!
Not only wooden products, but also cardboard, paper box, genuine suede, imitation suede microfiber, PU/Starch/Wax coating with organic material backing and synthetic or textile items are all easily get mold.
Mold occurs for various reasons, such as the unique characteristics of the material, pre and post manufacturing treatments, storage, shipping time and route, weather conditions and even the method of mould protection.
So, how to protect your goods from getting moulds throughout the whole importing process?
- Prevention of mold – Material Receiving
- Unload only in dry conditions or under protective cover
- Unload goods on dry and clean plastic pallets
- Measure moisture content of critical materials, reject the material with high risk of moisture
- Prevention of mold – Material storage & Product storage
- Keep storage area dry and clean
- Store materials, finished products, semi-finished products and waste materials separately
- Keep relative humidity level in storage areas below 60%:
- Install adequate, functioning dehumidifiers, fans for good air circulation and maintain <60% humidity the whole day. Don’t turn off at night, make sure the number and size of dehumidifiers are appropriate for the warehouse.
- It is highly recommended NOT to use water cooling screen system for cooling.
- Keep old materials in separate place, not to be mixed with new material. Follow FIFO (first in, first out basis) for materials management.
- All packed cartons must be put on plastic pallets at a minimum of 12cm above the floor and at least 50~100cm from the windows
- Storage rooms should have proper roofs for protection during rainy weather, and the roofs and walls should not leak.
- For long term storage: need to carry out additional check by AQL plan to see any signs of mold every other week.
- Prevention of mold – Production phase
To know more measures of mould prevention during production phase, please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get it.